General OPD Timing:
The Gastroenterology unit of CIHSR provides services to patients and training for physicians and surgeons desiring to learn endoscopy procedures.
The unit is headed by Dr. Sedevi Angami, a senior Gastroenterologist (DM Gastro – CMC Vellore).
- Injection of bleeding ulcers and varices
- Banding of varices
- Removal of foreign bodies
- Esophageal stenting for malignant strictures and tracheoesophageal fistulas
- Glue injection for fundal varices
- Endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG tube insertions)
- Nasojejunal tube insertions
- ERCP with stenting and removal of biliary stones
- Bronchoscopy – diagnostic and therapeutic
The Liver clinic caters to patients with various kinds of liver diseases and is conducted once a week on Wednesdays. The Nurse educators help patients understand their disease better and ensure that compliance to therapy is ensured.
Several physicians and surgeons from other institutes and mission hospitals have been trained in diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy in the last 10 years of the unit’s existence at CIHSR.
The unit is operational everyday and also provides for emergency services especially for bleeders and foreign bodies.
The unit also does bronchoscopy for patients to aid in diagnosis of lung cancers and various infections.