General OPD Timing:
Did you know?
The Department of Physical Medicine and rehabilitation is a branch of Medicine that aims to enhance, restore the functional ability and improve the quality of the life with physical impairments or disabilities.
The PMR specialist doctor is called the ‘Physiatrist‘ who diagnoses and treats the patients wholly as an individual, thereby helping the patients to fully optimize their physical health with focused team approach. The continuity of the care offers a variety of treatment methods eliminate or reduces challenges and addresses recurrences and helps them to re-integrate in the society.
The services offered includes musculoskeletal related problems such neck pain, backache, tendinitis, ligaments injury, myofascial pain, spinal cord injury, stroke, Traumatic brain injury, acute and chronic pain management, diabetic foot, trophic ulcers and pressure sores, developmental pediatrics disorders rehabilitation, bladder and bowel rehabilitation, bone related problems and sports injury medicine.
Physiotherapy department is manned by a team of 3 physiotherapists, which offers a wide array of inpatient and outpatient services. The department focuses on rehabilitating people living with Physical, Neurological & Orthopedically impairments, to maintain and restore their maximum independence in mobility and to help achieve functional abilities for day to day activities.
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation Specialty – Rehabilitation following Fracture & Dislocation, Amputation, Arthroplasty of shoulder, hip, & knee, Arthroscopic ACL & PCL reconstruction, Arthroscopic meniscal repair, Laminectomy & Discectomy, Arthrolysis, Arthrotomy, Arthrodesis, & Osteotomy, Mega prostheses implant, Limb reconstruction, Rotator cuff repair.
- Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation – Back pain with Sciatica, Osteopenia, Osteoarthritis, Infective arthritis, Hemophilic arthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Fibromyalgia, ankylosing spondylosis, Prolapsed inter vertebral disc (PIVD), Spondylolisthesis, Lumbar canal stenosis, Frozen shoulder, Impingement syndrome, Sprain, Strain, Tendinitis, Fasciitis, Bursitis, Synovitis, Traumatic MO, Peripheral nerve injury and Post-polio residual palsy, Postural deformities such as scoliosis/kyphosis/lordosis.
- Neurological Rehabilitation – Stroke (Hemiplegia), SCI (Paraplegia & Quadriplegia), Head injury (TBI), Parkinson’s Disease, Motor neuron Disease, Multiple sclerosis, Transverse myelitis, Cerebellar ataxia, Peripheral Neuropathy & Facial paralysis.
- Pediatric Rehabilitation – Cerebral Palsy, Delayed Developmental Milestone, Erb’s palsy & Myopathy, CTEV, Torticollis, DDH.
- Burn Rehabilitation – Prevention of Post Burn contractures and Deformities.
- Hand Rehabilitation – Fracture and dislocation of hand, Tendon transfers, Nerve suturing and grafting, dupuytren’s contracture, carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger.
- Pain Management – Pain Associated with Neuro Musculo Skeletal disorders and Sports injuries are treated by different modalities known as Electrotherapy and by various types of Exercise therapy & Manual therapy.
- Sports Injury Rehabilitation – Treats range of sports related injuries and rehabilitate the athlete after an injury or a surgery to prevent further injury.
- Ante-Natal and Post-Natal Care for The Mother.
- Ergonomics Education to Prevent Work Related Injuries.
- Chest physiotherapy as part of critical care in ICUs & High dependency units in the wards.
Physiotherapy unit has various modalities and a well-equipped state of the art exercise therapy unit for all kinds of rehabilitation.
- Electrotherapy – Management of Pain cause by Neuro-musculo-skeletal disorders using electrical modalities such as:
- Short wave diathermy
- Ultrasound therapy
- Interferential therapy
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Electronic cervical and lumbar traction
- Infra-red lamp
- Hydro collator moist heat
- Wax therapy
- Therapeutic exercise therapy
- Motorized treadmill and Body weight supported treadmill training (BWSTT) for patients with Stroke, SCI & CP
- Motorized tilt table
- Stationary bicycle
- Graded Strengthening and Endurance exercises, Mobilization exercise, ROM & Stretching exercise, Mat activities for functional reeducation, Balance board exercise, Gymnasium ball for mobility, balance & strengthening exercises
- Shoulder wheel and overhead pulley for shoulder mobilization exercise
- Standing frame for adults with Stroke, SCI etc. and children with Cerebral palsy
- Walking (Gait) training in parallel bar and using walking aids or assistive devices such as crutches, canes, quadripods, splints, & Orthoses like KAFO, AFO and artificial limbs (prostheses)
- Wheelchair skill training
- Domiciliary / Home based care – Department visits homes of patients with team of Palliative Care Doctors & nurses to consult and educate patients on various architectural modifications and adaptations required to make their house disabled-friendly. Provides psychological support and helps in preventing complications associated with life limiting illnesses and remain as independent as possible to optimize & maintain quality of life.
- Community physiotherapy – Community visits with the team of Community Medicine Doctors, Nurses and Social Worker to identify physical problems and provide early rehabilitative measures & interventions accordingly
- Wheelchair service delivery – Wheelchair service and user training are provided for children and adult patients requiring wheelchair, tricycle and cerebral palsy wheelchairs.
- Academic – Teaching basic physiotherapy techniques to staff and student Nurses.
- Physiotherapy internship programme – BPT 4th year student passed from recognized universities & institutions as a regular candidate are eligible to apply for 6 month’s compulsory rotatory internship.