NON CLINICAL SERVICES
Health Information Management
Health Information Management Department, previously known as Medical Records Department was set up on September 2011 at CIHSR. It is the only hospital in Nagaland which has the Health Information Management Department. As per the NABH Standards, health information is an important resource for effective and efficient delivery of health care. It is the lifeblood of the health care delivery system. The health information, in manual or automated form, houses the medical information that describes all aspects of patient care.The Health Information of the patients are used in a number of ways:
- Patient Care Management
- Quality Review
- Financial Reimbursement
- Legal Affairs
- Public Health
- Planning and Marketing
The Department is also training and teaching students for 2 years Diploma course affiliated under Christian Medical Association of India (CMAI) since 2012. Currently, there are four staffs which includes two (2) Bachelor Graduates from Christian Medical College, Vellore, one (1) Diploma 1st Batch Graduate from CIHSR and one (1) Hospital Assistant. The department opens from 8:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. (Monday’s – Friday’s) and 8:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. on Saturday’s, Sunday’s are closed.
Services offered by the department
- Compilation and Reporting of the following Reports to the Government:
- Adolescence and Sexual Reproductive Health (ARSH)
- Hospital Statistics
- Processing of Reimbursement and Health Insurance claims
- Hospital Inpatient Census
- Retaining, checking of deficiencies and filing of all the Inpatient Charts
- To document the course of the patient’s illness and treatment during each episode of care
- To communicate between the physicians and other health care professionals providing care to the patient
- To provide data to assist in protecting the legal interests of the patient, the physician, and the health care facility
- To substantiate insurance claims of the health care facility and patient
- To provide actual care studies for the education of health professionals
- To provide data to expand the body of medical knowledge
- To support in the accreditation purpose to various accrediting bodies
- Coding of all the diseases and procedures as per the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) and Procedural Code – (ICD-9 CM) which will help to provide Diseases data for Education, Research, Public Health and Planning purposes.
- Compilation and Reporting of the following Reports to the Government:
- Teaching and Training of students
- Issuing of Medical Certificates, Medical Fitness, Expired at Home certificates from the Department as per the Physician’s request.
- Maintenance of various records
- Medico Legal Cases registered and treated in the hospital
- Brought Dead
Services unique to CIHSR
Unlike other hospitals outside the State, HIM at CIHSR retains only the Inpatient Records of patients and the Outpatient records are retained by patients themselves. Processing of reimbursement and Insurance claims is another unique services provide by the department. The department also does all the reporting of various health statistics and health schemes to the Governmental agencies. The Department generates the Hospital statistics for monthly, quarterly, annually and financial year who also helps in the administration and departmental management and planning
As part of CIHSR Mission to provide Quality health care to the society, quality initiatives in various areas across the hospital has been started. At present it is still in nascent stage and is being nurtured through documentation, reviews, follow ups, audits and prioritizing patient safety along with NABH accreditation in plan through the Quality Coordinator. The Quality Steering Committee oversees the entire quality process and initiatives, with the Director as the chairperson of the committee. The management plays a key role with their full support and enthusiasm in CIHSR quality care.
Guest relations / Guest house
The hospital has a guest house facility within the hospital campus. It has six rooms. All these rooms are double bedded with essential amenities. We strive to provide a comfortable homely stay with all essential services to the occupants. We serve both veg and non veg food. The guest house is primarily meant for official guests of the CIHSR. The Staff of CIHSR can also avail the facility (only accommodation) for their families / relatives provided the rooms are available.
We have the following room tariff:
1. AC: Rs. 450/- per night.
2. Non AC: Rs. 250/- per night.
Services offered by the department
- Free Wi-Fi internet connection.
- Each Room has an attached bathroom.
- All rooms are air-conditioned.
- Hot and cold water for 24 hrs.
- T.V. Connection in all sitting room.
- Laundry & Ironing
The Chaplaincy Department is a recent addition to the family of CIHSR. The main objective of this department is to provide pastoral care and support to the patients and their family members, to the staff and their families, and also to the students. The Chaplaincy provides Biblical Counseling, thereby catering to the spiritual needs of the patients and contributing towards a holistic health care.
The Chaplaincy also works hand in hand with the Chapel Committee in enhancing the worship life of the CIHSR community, and further contributes towards the spiritual growth of the community as a whole.
Services offered by the department
- Ward visits – Meeting the patients and praying for them
- Palliative Home Visits – Every Tuesday
- Special Prayer for the patients – every Wednesday in the chapel @ 11:30 am
- Prayers and comfort to the bereaved
- Bedside counseling – Mostly in Onco and ICU wards
- End of life counseling
- Individual counseling – patients (in Wards)
- Individual counseling – staff and students (@chaplain’s chamber)
- Bible Classes – for students
- Spiritual Activities along with Chapel Committee – Chapel Worship/prayer meetings/Retreats for staff, hospital assistants, outsource and students/Bible studies/ other special programs etc.
Special Prayer for the Patients every Wednesday at 11:30 am in the Chapel – This has been an initiative of the Chaplaincy Department which was started last year and it has been a blessed experience coming together with the family members of the patients and praying together. The family members come to the chapel and pour out their hearts and share their concerns for prayers
Timings (days of the week) of special clinics/services that are conducted by the department.
- ★ Special prayer for the patients – Every Wednesday at 11:30 am in the chapel
- ★ Palliative Home Visits – Every Tuesdays
- ★ Spiritual activities: Morning chapel worship – everyday from Monday to Saturday at 7:45 am
- ★ Bible studies – Wednesdays inside the campus at 6:30 pm and Thursdays outside the campus at 6:00 pm
- ★ Sunday evening Community worship at 5:00 pm in Chapel
- ★ Prayer meeting – Every Thursdays at 6:00 pm in the chapel
- ★ Prayer and fasting – Every first Sunday of the month from 6:00 am in Chapel
- ★ Student’s EU Fellowship – Every Fridays at 5:00 pm
Every health care institution needs to have a front desk or reception to receive the patients and visitors. Front desk is the face as well as the voice of the hospital. They can make patients develop and impression about the level of service, standard, facilities and care provided by the hospital. The front desk response to queries and thus act as an interface between the patient and the hospital.
Services offered by the department
- • Registration
- • Admission
- • Appointment
- • Priority counter – priority counter provides fast track facilities to patients for billing, doctors consultation, sample collection and diagnostic procedures with an additional charge of Rs. 250 for a day. priority counter was opened with an aim to satisfy the needs of patients specially for patients wanting fast treatment and also for those who are too weak to wait in queue for treatment
- • Master health checkup – One stop health checkup program involving investigations and consultation by health professional and specialist in various fields of Medicine which provide to diagnose diseases at an early sage so that necessary life style measure can be advised without having to resort to use of medication. This checkup provide necessary information about your health.
Billing comes under the Accounts & Finance department of CIHSR providing services for out- patients, Emergencies and in-patients which is manned for 24x7 for patients to avail easy access to health care service.
All financial transaction related to out-patients and In-patient bills are done at the billing counters. The patients go through them only to avail the different health services by paying through by cash or card. Every registration, medicine bills, laboratory tests and other health packages are filtered through these counters.
Also, there is a special counter for patients who wants to avail speedy services like consultations and laboratory services called a “Priority Counter”. This counter also gives services to other health schemes. This counter is totally different from the general counters and hence can save a lot of time for patients.
Billing clerks are also posted at different wards in order to cater to those patients who are admitted related to their billing in order to give them prompt service.
- OPD Billing
- IPD Billing
- Health Schemes
- Priority Billing
Pharmacy Services at the CIHSR, Hospital provides 24-hour service and utilizes the guidance and direction described in the hospital’s Mission, Vision and Core Values. Its purpose is to provide the highest quality of pharmaceutical care available through a philosophy of “Best Practice” to our patients through innovative pharmacy education, shared respect and communication.
• CIHSR Pharmacy is a 24 hours service pharmacy catering to the needs of both the In Patient (IP) and Out Patient (OP) department
• OP pharmacy starts their duty schedule from 8 AM to 6PM
• IP pharmacy starts their duty schedule from 6PM to 8:10 AM
The Material Management Department of CIHSR supports the procurement and inventory functions of CIHSR. The department is responsible for purchasing all hospital supplies and equipment and for controlling hospital inventory. The department interfaces with every hospital department assuring supplies are kept in stock and equipment is purchased in a timely manner.
The Material Management Department consists of the Purchase and Store team.
The Purchase Department looks after procurement of goods and services and obtaining maximum value for every expenditure. This involves promoting, understanding and compliance with purchasing regulations throughout the organization. The department is responsible for purchasing all hospital supplies and equipment.
The main role of the Stores is for controlling hospital inventory and to ensure an uninterrupted supply of materials to the various departments, so that smooth and efficient functioning of the hospital is not affected. A systematic procedure is followed for receiving, storing, smooth issue, accurate stock status reports, timely detection of discrepancies, prompt clearance of goods inward notes to expedite bill payment etc.
Name of the department: Bio-Medical Engineering
Biomedical engineering is the application of engineering principles to the fields of biology and health care. Bio-medical engineers work with doctors, therapists and researchers to develop systems, maintain equipments and devices in order to solve clinical-related problems.
In CIHSR, the bio-medical engineering department does the following:
a) Install, adjust, maintain, repair, or provide technical support for biomedical equipments with suitable periodic preventive maintenance and calibration with national/international traceability either in-house or externally.
b) Evaluate the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of biomedical equipments.
The department always tries to achieve a target of 99.9% equipment availability and goal for uninterrupted services to patient care at all times.
1. Preventive maintenance for medical equipment,
2. Breakdown Maintenance,
3. Calibration with national or international traceability,
4. Medical Gas Supply viz. Oxygen, Nitrous Oxide, Air, Carbon Di Oxide, Nitrogen & Vacuum,
5. Update management with advanced technology and assist in new projects,
6. Contribute to the Academic activity of College of Nursing.
Besides maintaining medical equipment and devices, the department has acquired a few advanced calibrating tools used to check proper functioning of equipments.
Official timing: 8 AM to 4:30 PM
The department service is also available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week as per the need and requirement.
Over view: The Electrical wing of Engineering & Maintenance department provides round the clock service of uninterrupted power supply to the hospital at all times. Three Diesel Generators (400KVA+250KVA+125KVA) are installed as power back-up. 2x100KWp Off-grid Solar Power is being installed by NRE as an alternate source of power to the hospital.
The electrical department is managed by a qualified Electrical Engineer who is assisted by four hardworking electricians. The team plans and execute better power supply to various hospital blocks employing cost effective methods.
- Maintenance of transformers & HT switchyard.
- Diesel Generators
- LT distribution panels
- Underground cablings
- Extension & repair of internal wirings
- Repair & replacement of electrical fixtures
- Street lightings
- Electrical motors
- Repair of electrical appliances
- The upkeep of UPS/Inverters & its batteries
- 24x7 Round the clock availability of service electricians
- 200KW Solar power source
- Monday to Friday : 8:00AM to 4:30PM
- Night shift : 4:30PM to 8:00AM
- Saturday : 8:00AM to 1:00PM
- Night shift : 1:00PM to 8:00AM
- Sunday & night shift duty : One electrician available on roster
Finance and Accounts
The Finance and Accounts Department has been an integral part of Christian Institute of Health Sciences & Research since this society was founded. It was part of the founding of the hospital, and later, in the establishment of the College of Nursing, and also, the beginning of the Allied Health Sciences. It lends its support to all constructions and expansion of infrastructural facilities for enhancing CIHSR services: the buildings, wards, College of Nursing, the Staff Hostel, the Students’ Hostel and the Staff Quarters.
The billing staffs are the ones who are the first contact persons for the patients who come for medical services. The less visible accounts team supports the billing team.
The accounts department occupies an inconspicuous corner at the Administrative Block.
Finance and accounts are the stewards of the financial resources of CIHSR. At present, 14 billing staff and 5 staff in accounts make up the Finance and Accounts department.
As one among the first contacts for patients, billing staff are responsible for the most important task of collecting the patients’ data. They also collect the fees and other charges. Having done this, they direct the patients to the doctors/consultants or other diagnostic areas. They also prepare the bills for consumables, collect the money, and facilitate the flow of treatment process.
The accounts and finance staff receive the collections from the billing staff, receive proceeds of other charges/fees, including fees of institutions like the College of Nursing. They maintain the accounts, do banking work, make payments, compile and submit finance-related statements to stakeholders and statutory authorities. Budget making, audit management, tax and statutory compliances are some of the crucial functions of the accounts and finance.
The institution uses a payroll developed in-house by one of the staff, greatly facilitating smooth processes in salary disbursements to about 400 staff. Introduction of Finance Manual in February 2017 is expected to strengthen protocols and enhance objective finance management.
The Human Resource Department (HRD) deals with all aspects of employer-employee relationship, and is about supporting and managing the organization’s people and associated processes. It is seen as a core business function essential to the organization’s effective operation.
1. Employee Recruitment
2. Employee Benefit
3. Policies and organization System
4. Training and Development
5. Performance Appraisal
6. Employee Exit
The Transport Department of CIHSR is a department of service responsible for transportation-related matters in the Institute. The department is one of the vital administrative departments which cater to transport requirements for all the other departments, both clinical and non clinical. The department is headed by the administrative officer and reports to the Deputy Director – Administration.
The Institute’s drivers are also provided a set of guidelines and maintenance activities to be carried out on a daily basis. Prioritizing on safety, one of the basic rules of safe vehicle operation is that the driver is familiar with both the vehicle and its capabilities. The day to day condition of the vehicle is of paramount importance for safe operation, with the final responsibility for care resting on the driver who operates the vehicle. Thus, the recruitment of drivers are carefully scrutinized and planned.
The department offers transportation service to all the other departments as well as individual requirements as and when it is feasible.
Some of the common activities of the department are;
- Staff drop and pick up,
- Staff marketing and Sunday church,
- Transportation for College of Nursing,
- Community Health,
- Palliative care,
- Guest related activities,
- Staff personal requests, and
- Transport for administrative office activities.
The department operates and caters transport requirements 24/7.
- Good Housekeeping is the Foundation for a Safer Workplace.
- Housekeeping in any organization is the cornerstone of efficiency and the maintenance of operating standards.
- The Housekeeping Department of CIHSR provides a sense of well being to the patients coming to our hospital by maintaining cleanliness.
- The housekeeping department aids in reducing the risk of accidents within the hospital buildings.
Effects of good Housekeeping:
- Eliminates accident and fire causes.
- Provides the best use of space.
- Keeps inventory of materials to a minimum.
- Helps control property damage.
- Guarantees a good workplace appearance.
- Reduces the amount of cleanup.
- Biomedical waste is managed very meticulously by the housekeeper in every area, with each of them being thorough about biomedical waste management.
- For the new staff, proper orientation & training is given regarding the work
- Cleaning of each department in the hospital.
- Cleaning toilets, wash basins, walls, fans, watering flowers, cob web removal, window glass & doors, etc
- Changing dustbin poly bags
Biomedical Waste Management
Waste segregation at source:
- • Waste and especially biohazardous waste and sharps are segregated at source in color coded containers and bags / bins.
- • Regular daily audits of segregation compliance by the HICC ( Hospital infection control nurse)
- • Frequent orientation and reports are presented on compliance as part of the KPIs of the department.
Disposal of waste:
- • General waste is collected into closed bags and sent to the municipal waste dump every day.
- • Biohazardous waste is deep buried after disinfection with Sodium Hypochlorite
- • Infected plastic is disinfected by Hypochlorite and then sent for recycling.
- • Sharps are crushed and then buried in concrete sharps pits.
- • Organic waste is composted using vermi compost.
- • Hazardous plastic is also autoclaved and then disposed.
- • Clean plastic is crushed and then disposed for recycling after ensuring that it is no hazardous.
- • Sewage water goes through the process of aeration and oxidizing, treatment with urea and Gobar, sedimentation again, filtration and final discharge into a pool which can then reuse the water.
- • The effluent water is tested for chemicals in the state laboratory and toxicity using fingerlings.